About LEAP (Land’s End Accommodation Providers)
Following some informal get-togethers starting in December 2004, the Association was formed officially in May 2005. This website was launched in summer 2007 with the aim of attracting new customers looking for a holiday in this area.
Carolyn Boyd from Lebanon Cottage says
“since joining LEAP I have received business referred to me by other members as well as benefiting from useful and important information that has assisted in my marketing, saving me money and time, and improving the holiday experience for my guests”
Rosemary Warren from Tredinney Farm says
“I have found membership good as it has brought me up to date with the new fire regulations, sustainable tourism, the new World Heritage status etc. etc.”
The Association meets on the second Thursday of the month between 1215 and 1415 at the WI Hall in St. Just, with no meetings in July, August, December or January. The annual subscription is £20. This entitles you to a free, one line entry on the LEAP website. If you live away from the area then you will receive minutes of the meetings so that you don’t miss out on any information.
Reasons for joining LEAP
Cornwall Council/Visit Cornwall are keen to consult with the tourism industry and are therefore encouraging accommodation providers to belong to an association so that they have a means of communicating with us. This is the best route to influencing future policy decision making. LEAP works closely with the Council, St. Just & Land’s End Area Chamber of Commerce, St. Just Town Council and the other accommodation associations in Penwith.
The aims and objectives of the association are:-
- To maximise business to business trading opportunities. This can be achieved by attending meetings and by informal get-togethers at each other’s properties so that we can recommend member properties firsthand. Getting together also allows us to share experiences, pool ideas and minimise feelings of isolation. This is particularly beneficial if you are moving into the area and would like advice on any aspect – a mentor is assigned to all new members to give them advice if required
- To keep up to date with legislation e.g. fire regulations, Equality Act etc.
- To form a collective voice which is more likely to be heard on issues such as increasing business in the shoulder months, transport etc.
- To be informed on thinking and developments which could affect your business
- To be represented on high profile committees e.g. Visit Cornwall’s Tourism Association Panel.
- To look at possibilities for combined marketing e.g. LEAP website, Just Arts advert
- To arrange familiarisation visits to local attractions to ensure our local knowledge is up to date
- To access information on grants and discounts available
- To be informed on sustainable tourism issues – many LEAP members have a BTEC qualification in sustainable tourism and are members of Coast
- To access information on best practice within the tourism industry
- To attend training courses, where possible at subsidised prices e.g. Welcome All, food hygiene, fire risk assessment, health & safety, first aid, computer training, sustainable tourism etc.
- Subject to funds, to support local events
- To raise money for charities, nominated by members, via sponsored walks etc.
Other benefits of membership are:
To have an entry on the LEAP website www.landsendcornwall.co.uk for a one-off fee of £150. If you would like a second entry under a different category then this will cost £50. If you are taking over an existing business then there will be a charge of £50 to change the contact details etc.
To access discounts negotiated with suppliers – a discount has been negotiated for oil/gas/coal with Semmens, with Emily of Webfooted for setting up and/or maintaining a website and with Trago2Business subject to a minimum spend
To access a preferred list of suppliers compiled by LEAP members
Next steps to joining LEAP
You are welcome to come along to a meeting free of charge just to see what we are all about, before committing to joining.
Do give Liz Trenary a call on 01736 871284 to find out where the next meeting will be held – normally these will be at the WI Hall but sometimes they are held at various attractions.
If you would like to join you can either call us on 01736 871284 or email us on email@example.com and we will send you a joining form.